Sunday, January 6, 2019

What Are They Afraid Of?

I visited a new church this morning.  As I stepped out of the truck, I saw several groups of people gathered, talking before entering the church.  Among those talking were young people.  I though to myself, "What lovely kids!"  

They were all dressed nicely.  I don't mean that they were in suits and dresses, although some were. But, they were modest in their jeans.  They were smiling and seemed meek of spirit.

I walked into the church and noticed and entire row being used by a black family.


We are in a small city in Alaska. Our black population is rather small so I was pleased to see them and thought it boded well for this church.



There were women dressed in their kuspuks, a type of native attire.


The ushers ranged from  young to very old.

Two of the ushers appeared to be Polynesian and one of those young men even had a man bun.

                     

There were women as well as men on the platform leading worship.



All of these people were very comfortable.  All  exchanged handshakes and hugs all around.


This church seemed, like every other I have ever attended, very inclusive.  People from a wide variety of backgrounds, ethnicities and ages all gathered together and enjoying one another and joined in worship.

There may be exceptions but, all the churches I've been to are the most open-armed places I've ever come across.

Bars are not as inclusive for sure.  That's why you have punks being beaten up in cowboy bars. 


So why is the world so afraid of Christians?  They say we are intolerant of others.  Not by what I've seen.

Hmmm, maybe it's a sin thing.

Jesus said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:22

In another verse He says, "You are the Light of the world.  A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Matthew 5:14



We as Christians are told, "For at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord.  Walk as Children of light.
Ephesians 5:5

Now for the clincher:

"And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world and the people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.  For everyone who does wicked thing hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed."
John 3:19-21

That's the problem right there, Folks.

The world loves the darkness.




Let's just clarify something because those of the world thinks they are just fine by following their own 'inner light'.  The Bible says there is none righteous, no not one and that they are dead in their sins.  Romans 3:10 and Ephesians 2:1

There is no light in the dead.

I encourage you, my Christian friend, to continue letting your light so shine before men that they would see your good works and glorify your Father which is in Heaven. Matthew 5:16

Who knows? Maybe your light will be the one they see and are drawn to.

God, let us cause Your light to shine in the world and let it touch others.









   



No comments:

Post a Comment