Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Jesus and the Word


I just have to share something that the Lord showed me yesterday.  I was listening to a pastor named Mike Winger.  He was teaching how to give an answer to people who would claim that Jesus couldn't be God because He doesn't know everything, namely He said He doesn't know the day or hour of His return (Matthew 24:36).  It was an excellent teaching and I learned a lot.  More than what I learned was what God showed me as I listened.  

If you read through my blog, you will notice that I am a huge fan of the Old Testament.  I have several posts like, "Were the Beatitudes a Radical New Idea," "After This Manner Pray Ye," and "The Four Horsemen of the Old Testament."  These are just three of the posts that look at New Testament teachings that are found in the Old Testament.

So, as Mike Winger is explaining how Jesus, who is fully God and fully man could tell us that there is something He doesn't know, God allowed me to connect some dots.  Let's start with one of the titles of Jesus.  He is called the Word.

The very first verses of the Bible introduces us to the Word.  It says:

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." 
 (verse 1).

 

"Then God said, 'Let there be light," and there was light,'"
(verse 3).

Then we find out in the Gospel of John that Jesus is that Word of God.  It says:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without hin was not any thing made that was made...And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." John 1:1-3, 14

I may be wrong.  I don't present this as dogma, just as a logical conclusion based on what we know.  Jesus, as the Word, inspired what was written.  I believe he wrote only what He needed to know when He walked the earth.  He didn't need to know the day or hour, so it wasn't included in the written Word.  But everything that He would need to know as a man was there.  That, my friends, is awesome.

The Bible calls Jesus the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world (Revelation 13:8).  In other words, there was already a plan before He got here.  The Bible also says that He emptied Himself (Philippians 2:7 ESV) and took on the form of a servant and that He was tempted in every way as we are (Hebrews 4:15).  How did He know how to navigate?  Obviously he had the fullness of the Holy Spirit (Colossians 2:9) but he also had the manual that He had written for himself, the Word.

Consider this.  He would have known from the scriptures that he would have to die and He would have also known that it would be brutal.  But imagine the first time He saw a crucifixion.  Psalm 22 would have screamed at Him.  Remember, that psalm detailed crucifixion 1000 years before it was invented. Jesus put that there for Himself before He emptied Himself and became a servant unto death, for us. 

Some of you may not think that this is the HUGE big deal that I do.  You may have figured this out long ago but it is a pearl of great price to me.  Thank you for stopping by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment